Chef Jane Coxwell whips up this flavorful dish for client Diane von Furstenberg.
Quinoa with Pomegranate, Nuts and Soft Herbs
(Feel free to substitute nuts and herbs)
1 c. uncooked quinoa
½ small red onion, finely chopped
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1½ tbsp. hummus
1 or 2 lemons
½ c. macadamias, toasted in a dry skillet over low heat until golden
½ c. sliced almonds, toasted in a dry skillet over low heat until golden
1½ c. pomegranate seeds
1 handful dill, roughly chopped (no big stems)
1 handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1 small handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped
1. Prepare the quinoa like pasta — add to salted boiling water and cook for 12-15 minutes
2. While the quinoa is cooking, combine the onion, garlic, olive oil, and hummus in a large glass bowl.
3. Drain the quinoa and put it back in the pot. Stir it over low heat for a couple of minutes to steam off some of the excess water.
4. Add the quinoa to the glass bowl, season to taste, and add the lemon juice.
5. Loosely cover the mixture and let it sit until it comes to room temperature. If you are not serving immediately, refrigerate, but serve at room temperature.
6. When you're ready to serve, mix the pomegranate seeds, herbs, and nuts to quinoa, and toss with your hands, then recheck the seasoning. Remember, when food sits for a while, especially in the fridge, the cold tones down the seasoning, so add a bit more lemon, salt, or pepper if you need to.