Attempt Tier 2 trainer Vanessa Marrero's fat-burning, muscle-building circuit.
Part plyometrics, part high-intensity interval training, this no-equipment, do-anywhere cardio-and-strength circuit will spike your heart rate and sculpt your torso, glutes, legs, and more. The lower-body focus is not just for the aesthetic payoff, either. Training those bigger muscle groups translates to a total-body benefit. Says Tier 2 trainer Vanessa Marrero: "Like I mentioned on set, when you train your legs, especially in this highly intense training style I set up with this routine, you are getting a real bang for your buck. You get the fat-shredding cardio aspect as you target those stubborn areas."
Glimpse Marrero in action in our video, then do it yourself. Perform 3 rounds of this circuit, resting for 1 minute between rounds and for 10 to 15 seconds between each exercise. Be sure to warm up properly. A softer surface (say, the sand of South Beach) is preferable as this routine can tax your knees.
(1) Squat Kicks:Lower yourself into a body weight squat, and as you return to standing, kick your right leg out in front of you (as shown). Repeat on left side. Do 20 reps, alternating sides.
(2) Jabs into Power Jumps:Jab three times to the right, rotating your hips to make an uppercut motion (as shown), then perform three power jumps, jumping into the air and bringing your knees to your fists as you 'punch' down on your knees. Immediately repeat on the left side. Do 10 sets.
(3) Walking Lunges:Lunge forward with your left leg, making sure your knee doesn't cross over your toes (as shown). Immediately repeat with your right leg. Perform 20 reps.
(4) Curtsy Squats:Start with feet shoulder-width apart. Squat down in a shoulder-width stance, then step your left left behind the right leg, squatting or lunging downward to almost have your knee touch the ground (as shown). Return to start and squat again, then repeat to the left side. Perform 20 reps.
(5) Frog Jumps:Starting in low squat with stance wider than shoulder-width, swing arms back and use the momentum of your swing and low squat to leap you forward into the next squat (as shown). Perform 10 consecutive jumps.
(6) Walking Side Squats With Pulse:Step your foot out to the side, then performing a squat (as shown); pulse twice at the top, then rotate your body 180 degrees, and repeat on the opposite side. Continue for 20 reps in total.
(7) Moving Push-Ups: In a plank position, perform a push-up; at the top, 'move' to the right by 'stepping' your right hand and foot out to the right (as shown), followed by your left hand and foot, then performing another pushup. Perform 10 in total.
(8) Ab Rowers:Start in a seated V position balancing on your tailbone/glutes. Extend your legs outward in front of you while keep your feet together (as shown). While your legs are extending outward your upper torso is also extending backward until your entire body is almost flat. Then bring your body back to the starting position with your knees bent, balancing on your tailbone/glutes. Perform 20 reps.
(9) Jackknife:Lying face up with legs together and extended and arms extended above your head, engage your core to bring your hands and feet together so that your body forms a V (as shown). Touch your hands and feet at the top of the movement. Slowly lower to start; repeat. Perform 20 reps.